Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Trip to Southern California - Day Four

Galen instructing
It is Monday and everyone is back to school; most as students but one as professor.  I went to campus with Galen to do some work and then sit in on his mechanics class.  This time the topic was starting position and final position with the impact of momentum and force...or something like that.  I was particularly impressed with his use of Angry Birds as an illustration.  His class was suitably impressed that he almost got all the structures down...missed the last one.  They gave him a round of applause.  He observed that understanding the earth's orbit around the sun is just Angry Birds in space.

While all this was taking place, I learned by text from Marilyn that Maggie was participating in a program on California at school.  We hustled back when Galen was through so we could catch Thomas in his program.  It was an interactive couple of hours focusing on California history.  It was presented by an energetic young woman who apparently goes from school to school presenting this program.  You can view a video of Thomas answering that important question below.


Once we got home and had some lunch, Galen took us to his paper supplier where Marilyn picked out some paper for the origami project that Galen will be giving to us for my birthday.  They spent a lot of time browsing through a wide variety of paper.  I checked on the location of the closest Starbucks but determined that it was just outside my range.  Thus I waited patiently, a behavior I learned accompanying my mother to fabric shops in my youth.  We then had to hustle back home to pick up Maggie from her after school tutoring.

Once we had taken short naps--Galen and I did anyway--we were off to In-n-Out Burger for dinner.  Henry and Robert did not come with us but we brought back plenty of food for them.  I enjoyed a dish of ice cream and we all watched a comedy show off Netflix while Galen installed the wireless printer that we had gotten them from Amazon and which had arrived that afternoon.

You can view the updated Picasa album here.


No comments:

Post a Comment